aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2.09.2012

Handmade + Heartfelt: Decorated Matchbox


See this cute little thing? It's my first ever decorated matchbox! I made it for the February Love Matchbox swap, another exchange hosted by Rachel of Swap-bot. There's a whole community of crafters out there that dress up tiny boxes like these for all kinds of occasions and themes, stuff their little drawers with bits of goodness + send them off to brighten others' mailboxes!


Lots of matchbox swappers use store-bought boxes as a base to build on. I decided to use Rachel's template for a traditional-style 32-count matchbox, which I printed directly onto colored cardstock. With the help of a craft knife, bone folder, and a little glue, I had the box assembled in a matter of minutes.


The next part is the fun one: decorating! I used a combination of cardstock, patterned scrapbook paper, glittery ribbon + baker's twine to create a layered band around the box. I used one of Martha's decorative punches to give the cardstock a lacy edge. A little heart-shaped brad made the perfect drawer pull!


I filled the drawer with homemade confetti, little heart-shaped stickers, brads, beads and bits of ribbon + yarn. It felt great to get a nice thank-you back from my swap partner, Holley, saying how it brought her a smile. Success! :o)

If you're looking for a cute way to sweeten someone's day... make them a matchbox + fill it with candy, an itty bitty card or some other tiny treasure. ♥

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I love your felt heart valentine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too! I should make some of these little surprises for my boys. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin