aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1.19.2012

Taste of the Tropics


On Monday, Kevin + I spent the day exploring one of our favorite places: Everglades National Park. It had been a few years since we'd done that + we were due for another visit. {I really should share some of the photos. With it being dry season here, there were alligators everywhere!} Anyway, it's our tradition to make a stop in Florida City at Robert Is Here for fresh fruit shakes on the drive home. {Robert Is Here actually deserves a post of its own! It's this fantastic combination of farmer's market, souvenir stand + petting zoo all rolled into one.}

On this visit, I finally summoned the courage to pick up a few different tropical fruit that I've always been curious about, but a bit too chicken to try. Right now, they're colorful, firm + not at all ready to eat. It's their ripened appearance + consistency {which I've observed at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden} that scares me.

This is the sapodilla. It's about the size of a Meyer lemon, looks kind of like a potato + has a gritty texture to its skin. What's really interesting to me is the description of its taste: pear with brown sugar. Sounds good! According to Robert himself, I should wait to eat it until it is very soft.



Here's the black sapote. Honestly, it's the one that simultaneously excites + repulses me the most. It's about the size + shape of a big tomato, but with smooth skin that looks like an apple's but seems a bit tougher. Black sapote is described as tasting like chocolate pudding when ripe... which you'll know when the skin turns completely black + leaks black juice. Yum!


Finally, this is a canistel. It's about the size of a large peach but with a pointed end + yellowy-orange skin that is smooth and fairly thin. Canistel is said to taste like sweet, creamy custard when it's ready. Robert showed me a trick for testing its ripeness. He had me make a relaxed fist with one hand + squeeze it with the other, noting the meaty part between my knuckles + wrist. A ripe canistel should be slightly softer than that.


The photos showing the individual fruit were taken this morning. I'm not sure how long they'll take to ripen, but I'm guessing maybe another week or two. I'll let you know how they look + taste as soon as they're ready!

Have you ever tried sapodilla, black sapote or canistel? {Please tell me they're not as bad as I fear!} Also, what's the most adventurous fruit you've ever eaten?


Photobucket

PS: Not sure if you noticed, but I added a watermark to today's photos. What are your thoughts on it? I'd like it to clearly identify my images, but without detracting too much from them.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so interested to hear how these taste, the descriptions sound tasty!

    Also, I don't think the watermark is detracting. At least not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious to see how those fun little guys end up tasting.
    I think the watermark is clean and not detracting at all...I actually didn't even notice it on the photos until you mentioned it at the bottom of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of those! But I'd love to try them all. I'm also intrigued by the black sapote...the flavor sounds delicious but the ripening process sounds gross! Can't wait to hear how you felt about these! I honestly didn't even notice the watermark until you pointed it out. Very discreet, not distracting at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I haven't heard of these (but then again who am I?) I like the watermark. Definitely not distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to tasting them + think chilling them in the fridge before trying them may help with my texture issues. I'm already wondering if there are any baking experiments I can try with them!

    Thanks so much for all the feedback on the watermark! It's exactly the confirmation I needed! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I love learning about new (to me) foods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those fruits sound amazing! I never had them before and I wonder if I can find them in Shanghai. Sounds like a healthy dessert. ;) The watermark is nice too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yumm! Those all soudn delicious. I've only ever heard of sopapilla, but didnt know what it was. Can't wait to see the after photos. PS - did not even notice the watermark (mission accomplished?)!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin