aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1.31.2012

Handmade + Heartfelt: Painted Postcards


Crazy to think that it's almost February! If this month has been any indication, 2012 is going to be one fast-paced year. With a month full of sweetness upon us, I figure this is a perfect time to bring back the Handmade + Heartfelt series.

I've been busy at work on some Valentine's Day themed exchanges that I'm participating in through Swap-bot. {Can't say enough good things about that site. Snail mail ROCKS!} I made these pretties for Rachel's swap of Handmade Valentine Postcards.


I got the inspiration for this project from a tutorial featured on Oh So Beautiful Paper last summer. Watercolor -- and paint in general -- is a medium that I don't often use. Seeing how simple the technique is + the lovely results it produces gave me the encouragement to try. The ingredients that I used for this project are:

I made the stamp a few weeks ago using a linoleum cutter and a Speedy Carve block. There are a number of ways of transferring images to a block for carving; I just free-handed a design directly on the rubber with a ballpoint pen. {The only tricky part is to make sure any lettering in the design is reversed on the stamp, so that it reads properly when printed.} Then I just carved + carved away!


Using a small amount of water, I made the paint as concentrated as I could before randomly brushing it across the paper. {Too much water will quickly cause your paper to warp and buckle.} I chose shades of pink, purple + white, dabbing the excess moisture from the postcard with a paper towel before adding new colors. {Sorry for the lack of photos on these steps, I sometimes forget to shoot when I'm in my creative zone!}

Once the paper was dry, I inked up the stamp, positioned it on the card + pressed down firmly to get a nice print. Then I swiped the ink pad at an angle along the card's edges to add a little more detail. I experimented with a couple of different inks that I had in my stash -- a metallic gold pigment {above} + Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Tea Dye {below}.


I especially love how the "tea dye" stamp turned out! It reminds me of batik printed fabric. The great thing about these Valentine's Day postcards is that no two are alike! Plus, they're easy enough to make with kiddos. {I really hope that my swap partner, Jaime, likes the one I've mailed!}

If you're interested in getting in on some fun swap action, the last day to join the FaveCrafts Annual Valentine's Day Card Swap is tomorrow! I'm signed up for it... you should, too! You never know, maybe we'll be paired up as swap buddies! ❤


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I "LOVE" the postcards and now I miss Swap-Bot. I really need to get back into swapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome! hand designed and made stamps are so great, really like how you put the design together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project! That is such a nice idea for Valentine's day or anya other holiday really

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out so good! I love the stamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so beautiful!!! I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the handmade stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks everyone! I should share the cool embroidered {right up my alley!} postcard that I received from my swap partner in AUSTRALIA. Now that I have the required number of swaps under my belt needed to host an exchange, I'm going to get on the ball with that decorated envelope swap! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, what a fun project! I adore the stamp you made - it's perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin