aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1.10.2012

Favorite Find: C. Howard's Violet Mints


The first place I ever saw C. Howard's Violet Mints was on the checkout counter at our neighborhood farmacia, which was run by an ancient little Cuban couple. You could always find the fancy foil-wrapped packs next to the crema de leche and coquitos. I must have been about six or seven when I got my first taste. Ever since, they've been my absolute favorite!


The C. Howard Company has been making the mint since 1930. As the name implies, it's a floral-flavored candy. For me, its fragrance is reminiscent of Royal Violets -- el perfume de la juventud. {If you've ever smelled a Cuban baby, you know exactly what I'm talking about!}

The best description I can give of its flavor is that it's uniquely perfume-y and long lasting... with a texture that is slightly chalky -- like Smarties or Necco Wafers -- but without the graininess, as if they're made of finer sugar.

Recently, I've noticed that violet mints are available at our favorite local specialty market + also at Powell's Sweet Shoppe locations in California... in other words, purveyors of excellent taste! That makes me happy, as sadly, our old neighborhood farmacia has since become a CVS. {Luckily, Santa thought I'd been a good girl last year, because I found a pack stuffed in my stocking!}

Is there a favorite candy of yours that evokes fond childhood memories?


Photobucket

PS: This is my 100th post on this blog! Thank you so much for following along on my adventures over the past 2¼ years... I've loved having you! Hopefully the next 100 posts won't take so long! :o)

3 comments:

  1. Yay for 100 posts!!
    I've never heard of these candies. Hmm. Sound good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these are kind of a favorite for a lot of people but they sound so strange! I think they usually carry them at World Market, I will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have never had those. i sorta love candy in general. ;) congrats on your 100th post!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin