aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

7.15.2011

Mail Art: Decorated Envelopes


One of our Sunday traditions includes breakfast at Barnes & Noble after church. While Kev orders our usual {hot chocolate for him, chai latte for me, and a couple of warm scones}, I head to the craft section and come back with an armful of books. A few months ago, I came across Handmade Hellos, by Eunice + Sabrina Moyle, the talented sisters behind Hello!Lucky. My heart fluttered as I flipped through page after page of lovely card + envelope projects. How awesome would it be to find something so pretty tucked in among the credit card offers and junk mail that usually fill our box! As with just about every other book that captures my heart, I made it mine and giddily added it to the collection.


Not too long ago, I saw a tweet from Swap-bot about a decorated envelope exchange and remembered the book. Immediately, I signed up and let my head swirl with ideas. Collages and sewn paper both came to mind, but ultimately I settled on the Micron pens + watercolor pencils I'd recently purchased. {Anything that's flat and lightweight should work!}


Here's one of the pieces that I made for the swap, which was customized based on one partner's love of gardening + all things Alice in Wonderland. {Do those doodled flowers look familiar at all?} Inside of the envelope, I included some little craft bits like punched paper pieces, homemade Alice tape stickers + ribbon scraps, plus a packet of watermelon seeds {perfect for next summer's garden!}.

I really had a fun time designing and making these. Plain old envelopes just won't cut it for me anymore! I feel like making tons more + mailing them to people I actually know. haha

Have you ever tried your hand at mail art? Would you be interested in participating in an envelope swap if I hosted one? :o)

Have a wonderful weekend!


Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. How pretty! I'd be game for a swap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is gorgeous - Great job, Marissa! I would probably jump up and down with excitement if something that pretty came in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in!! That envelope is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm TOTALLY IN. LOVE the envelope, it's so pretty! And I need another excuse to have your mailman look at your funny last name! "makes" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would totally participate if you did one!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks friends! I'll work out the details of the swap + post more in formation about it soon! Yippee! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of the coolest looking envelopes I've ever seen! I can't imagine the excitement of the person who received it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these envelopes are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That enevelope is so fun. I love snail mail, so I'd participate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work! Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work! Absolutely gorgeous i really like it..

    plastic cards
    clear business cards

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are really beautiful! You are so talented...I wish I could draw like this (and you call them "doodles"!).
    I'd participate in a swap! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful! What wonderful surprises to receive in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found you on Latte Love's blog map! I'm in the Naples area! New follower!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin