aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

6.10.2011

Lychee Love


Summertime in Miami is in full effect! You can tell by the abundance of fruit on the boughs of trees all over the city. One of my favorites this time of year is the lychee {pronounced LEE-chee}, which is native to Asia. These delicious little treasures are about the size of a strawberry and have a distinctive taste that is kind of like grapes, but better. Their only drawback is their price, with the going rate about $5/pound.

Lucky for us, we're blessed with generous neighbors with a few extremely prolific {read: LOADED} trees. Currently, we have more lychees than we know what to do with. Good problem, right? I've found recipes for sorbets, salads and cocktails... but am still on the lookout for other interesting ways to prepare them. So if you've got any favorites, I'd love to hear them!

Here are a few photos documenting the "dissection" of a lychee. Mmm!






What are some local fruits that signify the arrival of summer to you?

Have a lovely weekend!

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. So jealous you have all those fresh lychees! I've never had one that wasn't from a can, and I was just craving a lychee martini the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOO jealous. My Mom's Asian pear tree falling over with fruit means summer is here. Have you tried making lycee flavored vodka? We did it once and it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *heart* lychees! I'm so jealous that you have so much readily available!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my... you're so lucky to have a lychee tree available through your neighbor! the lychee is one of my favorite fruits and one of the trees i would love to have at my future home (i'd also love an avocado, mango, and lemon tree)

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have never eaten a lychee. Up here in MI we are finally going strawberry picking this week, so yeah, summer is here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, lucky girl!! Perhaps lychee ice cream (as a creamier alternative to sorbet)? An ice cream shop near me sells it and it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan, I've never tried them from a can. You've got to have a fresh ones sometime! Elizabeth, you need to experience them, too. {Too bad they don't hold up very long after picking, or I'd send you some!}

    Catherine, Asian pear sounds amazing! Wish we had something like that here. Pear is one of my favorites!

    Honey, I think your heart {at least the fruit-loving part of it} belongs in Miami. All of your favorites thrive here! As a kid, our yard was full of avocado + mango trees. :o)

    Serena, ice cream sounds like a MUCH better alternative. I'll have to give it + the flavored vodka a shot! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin