aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1.28.2011

These Feet...


These feet have taken me farther than I ever imagined possible. I haven't shared much about it here, but they've carried me 26.2 miles across a marathon finish line... four times. It's hard to think that my last race was exactly two years ago this weekend. Lately it feels like it's been so much longer than that.

January 2009: Stopping to smile near Mile 22.

A lot has changed in my life since that last race. Marriage, first-time homeownership and a career move can take a lot out of a person. Sadly, it's not what's been taken out of me that has kept me off the running path. It's more like, what I've been putting into me.

In the past year and a half, I've put on some weight. It's most noticeable in my face, especially when you compare current photos to those taken on our wedding day. Ugh. The problem worsened this August when I injured my foot during the first training run for this year's marathon. Until just a few weeks ago, I wasn't able to run more than a mile or so, due to the piercing pain in my heel and Achilles. Since I've finally been able to get back out on the path, I can feel the difference made by the extra pounds that I now carry. It's so much harder!

August 2010: Chubby-cheeked on the first day of training

Well, we all have to start somewhere. So early tomorrow morning, I'll lace up my Mizunos and head toward Watson Island for the Tropical 5K. While it's not the marathon that I started training for five months ago, it'll still be a challenge. This is my start. These are the first steps I'll take on the road toward regaining my fitness.

I'm a little nervous and a lot excited about this weekend. You see, I'm not the only one who has a race coming up. On Sunday, Kevin will run rock the ING Miami Marathon! It'll be his eighth. Just as he'll be cheering for me tomorrow, you can be sure that I'm going to be getting loud for him on Sunday!

Here's a little video clip from the end of my last race. I've watched it a few times over the past week, just to psych myself up for tomorrow and the journey that will follow. Hopefully, on those crummy days when I just don't think I can, I'll remember these moments. Because I have... and I will again someday!




I'll be back soon to let you know how it all went! I hope that you have an AWESOME weekend!!! :o)


Photobucket

UPDATE: We did it!!! Read all about it here.


18 comments:

  1. Get it girl! Can't wait to hear your race report. I have a similar story in that I ran two half marathons the year before we got married and have barely run 20 miles all together in the following year. A friend and I signed up for a 5k in April though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I hope you make it through this one without anymore injury. It's amazing that you've done so much already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Marissa!! I hope you have a great race! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! I wish I had the stamina to run a marathon, good luck at the 5k and good luck to your hubby too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got this Marissa!!! Two marathons, that's amazing! Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire anyone who can run in a marathon. I can't run.. every since I was in elementary school, every time I start to run a mile after 5 minutes I'm like, "eff this!" I don't know what it is. So I have crazy respect for anyone that can run a marathon! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock Marissa!! Thats got to be such a high feeling to get back into it. Good luck and I know you'll do great and be amazing! You and your husband are amazing...wow his 8th! <3 Much love to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo, go Marissa! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so beautiful! I know what it feels like to be at the top of your game (on a fitness level) & then life & whatnot happens & we lose track. That is so awesome that you are getting back on track with a 5k! I think I would even have a hard time doing that one!

    My huge fitness accomplishment this week was attending 2 spin classes, with my 3rd one later today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. I can't tell you how much all of your words mean to me! Seriously, I'm speechless. Thank you! xo

    @Kristin: Before July 2006, I couldn't run a mile if my life depended on it. I was totally in the "running's not for me" camp. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! I really want to run a race this year, but just can't get myself into that Chicago cold yet. :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great blog you have -I'm finding your posts very inspiring as I'm new to blogging myself ;)
    Am now following -looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope it goes well! And please run because you love it, 'cause your face looks fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such an inspiration, Marissa! I can't believe you've already run so many marathons, and you're getting back into it with a 5k! I was ridiculously pumped when I even finished a 5k in October, I could never imagine a marathon. I hope you had a great race and it helps your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I did it! It turned out to be such a lovely day for a race. I plan to write a little post on it tonight... but the big accomplishment will be Kevin's tomorrow! Thanks again for all of the encouragement! :o)

    @Vivian: Welcome! I'm so glad that you've stopped by. The food on your blog looks delizioso... and I love NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here so you can stop considering me a lurker, I will post a comment.

    I'm glad your back! And was that Bono telling you that "I will be with you again?" Hmmmm... a little appropriate. You will be with the marathon again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck Marissa, I hope you did great this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh girl, I hear you. It was SO hard to get back out there after Quinn was born. Not only was I completely exhausted ALL the time, the weight made it so much harder. I am STILL one lb away from my pp weight (I know, insignificant now) but it has taken me an entire year to lose it. It's hard, but it will happen. And if not, you are still as beautiful now as ever. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin