aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1.27.2011

Glittery Snowbirds Plaque


Last Christmas, Kevin gave me one of the sweetest gifts ever: a 24-pack of Martha Stewart glitter. As simple of a thing as it sounds, my heart completely melted as I pulled the clear plastic box from my stocking. In all honesty, I've never been much of a sparkly girl. The realization that my husband recognizes, appreciates and encourages my creative side is what truly touched me.

Eager to glitter up whatever I could get my hands on, I rummaged around in the craft room until I found the basic ingredients that sparked the idea for this wintry scene:
  • unfinished wooden plaque (leftover from this project)
  • white acrylic paint
  • pair of mini mushroom birds
  • polyfill stuffing
  • twig
  • assorted fine and coarse glitters
  • white glue
  • paint brushes
  • straight pins
  • hot glue gun

First, I gave the wooden plaque a couple good coats of white acrylic paint.

Using glue thinned with water, I dusted the top with coarse clear glitter + gave it a silvery edge.

The twig (found in our church's parking lot!) was painted with thinned glue and glittered.

With a fine brush, I glued and glittered each bird in sections by color.
(A stick pin makes a perfect handle.)

The finished birdies featured five different colors of glitter.

Finally, I added a pinch of polyfill "snow" and hot-glued all of the pieces in place.

I really like how this craft turned out, especially considering the organic way that it all came together. Plus, we never get any of the real fluffy white stuff here in Miami, so this little pair of snowbirds adds a lovely wintry touch to our Holiday decor.

I can totally see making one of these for each season. It would work well with a Valentine's Day theme, too... a heart-shaped plaque and a red-pink-purple color scheme for the little tweethearts! It would be SO cute!

What are your favorite things to glitter? I've got plenty of the sparkly stuff and could use some suggestions! :o)

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Very cute! I like the imagery this gives me. You sure are crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! i bought tiny birds at a craft store hoping to diy them into something, but it never occurred to me to glitter them. what a great idea.

    recently, i've seen glittered matchbooks and wooden hearts. would love to see glitter on picture frames, coasters, magnets to dress up a fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful of your husband! And how cute it turned out! Love it!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love mushroom birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, dears! It's crazy how far a little bit of glitter goes. It sure makes things pretty, though!

    @honey my heart: Great suggestions! I hadn't thought of matchboxes. Also, one whole side of our fridge is dedicated to magnets... I may have to add a few sparkly ones to the group!

    Any other ideas??? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - that is so so so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin