aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

12.02.2010

Reverb 10: Writing


For me, there seem to be many things competing for my time. Most days, I feel that there is so much to do, that I feel guilty taking the time to write. Then I feel guilty for not writing. If you take a look at my archives, it won't take long to see that I haven't been consistent with my blogging. You want to talk about guilt!

I really enjoy writing about things that I've made or cooked, places we've visited, and stuff that we've done around the house. I take photos of literally every project we tackle. Sadly -- and maybe it's just me -- it takes me HOURS to crank out a single post, by the time I've formatted and inserted photos. So, for now, those images live on the SD card until I find a little time to put words to them. As I've admitted before, I tend to be long-winded and wordy. I'm also not much of a planner and rarely schedule posts more than a day in advance. These things combined make for either really late nights up polishing off posts or really long droughts without a single one.

I spend most of my waking hours during the week at work, sitting behind a computer. Some days I come home and swear that my eyes are going to melt out of their sockets if I gaze at a monitor for another minute.

Then there's the fact that I pretty much alienate Kevin, who's usually sitting right next to me, for the hours that I have my face buried in the laptop blogging. He's such a sweetheart and never complains, but I know that it can't feel good. The time that we have outside of work is precious, and I believe that I owe it to him and to our relationship to invest it wisely. Granted, a larger chunk than I'd like to admit of that time is spent watching TV together, but at least it's something we are doing together.

I guess the bottom line is that I need to practice more discipline with my time and word usage. It would help to have a regularly scheduled blogging time, say an hour every day. (Perhaps one of those TV hours.) Whatever I can do in those 60 minutes should be considered enough. I don't have to write a novel, or even a page. I don't have to share every single little detail. Sometimes less really is more. Maybe I should institute a 250-word limit, like a lot of those essay contests do. Hmm.

I know that I haven't really answered the question as it was posed. But I think that I've at least identified the major obstacles that prevent me from writing regularly. And that's a pretty good place to start!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Do you use livewriter? It makes posting so much easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of it, but never tried it. I'll have to check it out... thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin