aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

12.07.2010

Handmade Holidays: No-Bake Gingerbread House


I've always wanted to make a gingerbread house, but never seem to have the time during the busy Holiday season. In anticipation of last Saturday's "Sips and Sweets" party, I decided to make one as a centerpiece. My time-saving secret is that this project required absolutely no baking!

Thanks to the magic of Honey Maid Gingerbread Graham Crackers and a box of Wilton Royal Icing Mix, I was able to construct this cookie cottage -- from start to finish -- in just under an hour. (I'd normally make my own royal icing from scratch, but just didn't have the time for that either this day.)

Recognize any other items used in my display?

An icing-covered sugar cone tree towers over peppermint snails.

My favorite detail: these candy critters sitting in the coconut flake snow!

A friendly little ski-capped fella welcomes visitors.

A sweet, snowy scene


Here's a list of the materials I used:
  • graham crackers = house
  • royal icing = glue/icicles/windows
  • mini frosted shredded wheat cereal = thatched roof
  • jelly ring candy = wreath
  • Twizzlers Pull n' Peel candy = bow on wreath/snail antennae/mouth detail
  • Jujubes candy = door knob
  • Starlight peppermints = snail shells
  • spice gumdrops = snail heads/little man/fence posts/star topper
  • white chocolate-covered pretzels = fence rails
  • rainbow nonpareils = eyes
  • sugar cone = pine tree
  • shredded coconut = snow
All you have to do is use a knife to "saw" the crackers into walls, roof panels and supports... and then use the royal icing to "glue" it all together! Pretty simple, huh?

Is there a Holiday craft that you'd love to try, but just can't find the time needed? How about a time-saving shortcut that you've discovered?

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. OMG those snails are ADORABLE! I HAVE to make some for AC! And I love the idea of using the mini wheats as roof shingles, brilliant! This is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea! I love the details on the snails. Just forwarded this to my sister since I know she really wants to make a gingerbread house but with a 2 year old has limited time...this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gingerbread house looks AMAZING! I can't believe it's no bake. I've got lots of time on my hands, maybe I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this!! I have some leftover graham crackers from making a pie crust, I think i might try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. candy critters are too cute! love the frosted mini wheats as roof :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all kinds of adorable! I LOVE the mint snails, so clever and cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, those little peppermint critters are KILLING me! So cute! And the frosted mini wheat roof? Brilliant! Mike used to love making gingerbread houses as a kid, but I've never made one. Maybe we'll attempt one together this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOOOOOO cute! I can't get over it...the little snails are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so adorably cute! I made "our house" out of gingerbread two years ago... it was a LONG multiple day affair, with the modeling, the baking of the gingerbread and the end assembly! It was super cute, but I was so sad that it was off to the trash in January!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really adorable house! I may just have to do this on the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so freakin cute. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, this is amazing. I need to make this now. this weekend for sure. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahh this is too cute! You did a great job for no bake! I'm going to a gingerbread house party this year and am totally going to use some of these ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin