aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

10.03.2010

¡Pepita, te quiero!


On my mom's side of the family, everyone has a nickname. Some of them -- like Marisita -- are logical and make sense to outsiders. Others -- like Chulito -- definitely require some explaining. My sister Meredith (aka Meridín to our English-challenged abuela) was given the nickname Pepita by our great aunt. In Spanish, a pepita is a little seed, usually from a sunflower or pumpkin. Considering Mer's the youngest of the cousins and was born three-months premature, Pepita just fits.

My great aunt, now 90, will be our guest for dinner tonight. Kevin and I are making butternut squash soup sprinkled with roasted pumpkin seeds. I couldn't help but smile and think of my sister when I read the label on the bag.


If you're in the mood for something slightly spicy, I'd recommend roasting up a batch of these seeds. They're quick to make and so very tasty! I found the recipe in my go-to cookbook, Everyday Food: Great Food Fast .

Here it is, courtesy of the fine folks at Martha Stewart:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup raw green pumpkin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon coarse salt
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss to coat.
  3. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until puffed and browned, about 10 minutes.
  4. Enjoy!

Did you have a nickname growing up?

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yep! I was Caco, or Kako, cuz my little sister was unable to pronounce Eduardo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marissa,

    Thanks for your sweet comment on FB. Hope all is well.

    This recipe sounds SOOOOOO good. I will make a batch!!!!! Cute story about Meredith's nickname, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin