aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

10.21.2009

Cantaloupe + Lime Granita

aaasource: jessica's dinner party

This weekend I tried a little experiment in the kitchen. Much to my surprise, it was a success! You see, while I'm pretty adventurous in general... when it comes to recipes, I am usually too chicken to put my own twist on things. That may slowly be changing, though. :o)

In flipping through the 2009 Food & Wine Annual Cookbook (my mom gifts me one every year!), I came upon a recipe for Watermelon + Cardamom Granita. I didn't have either of those items in the kitchen, but I did have a nice cantaloupe ready to go as well as a few limes. Maybe, just maybe, it could work, I thought.

So, I started heating up the water and sugar mixture on the stove top. Then I got to peeling the cantaloupe just like I learned from Martha Stewart's folks at Everyday Food...

First, cut off the top and bottom so it sits still.

Then slice your way around the sides.

Then cut that melon in half and scoop out the seeds!

I only used half of the cantaloupe for this recipe, since I had my eye on another sweet project to make with the rest. (You know, just in case my little experiment resulted in a major fail.) I cut the half of the melon into cubes and popped them into the blender for a quick purée. While that was running, I zested and juiced one lime.

I love those colors!

The smell of limes just perks me right up! So refreshing!

When that was done, I stirred in the sugar syrup along with the lime zest and juice. Then I poured the mixture into a baking pan and popped it into the freezer.


I'm not sure what I was thinking (or not thinking), but I completely forgot to take photos of the last few steps and the final product. The image at the top of this post is a good (albeit much prettier!) representation of what to expect! For a healthy dessert, it was delicious!

Here's my recipe, adapted from Food & Wine:

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 ¼ cup sugar
  • half of one ripe cantaloupe, peeled and cubed
  • zest and juice of one lime
Directions
  1. In a saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Stir over moderate heat until dissolved. About 2 minutes.
  2. In a blender, purée the cantaloupe until smooth. Add the sugar syrup, lime zest and juice. Combine well.
  3. Pour mixture into a 9" x 13" baking pan and freeze for 30 minutes. Using a fork, stir the granita; continue stirring every 30 minutes until frozen and fluffy. About 3 hours.
  4. Fluff the granita into bowls and enjoy!
Are you adventurous when it comes to straying from recipes?

Photobucket

PS: Tomorrow I'll let you in on what I did with the other half of the cantaloupe! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin